Sunday 8 November 2015

Visiting The Tate Modern

Hello everyone!

I hope you are all well! It feels like a while since I've last posted, I've been very busy lately but I have so many ideas for this blog so the posts are going to be  regular again! (Sorry)

This was a photo I took at the entrance, inside the gallery. The triangles were filled with mud so possibly plants will grow there one day.
 
The other day I went to the Tate Modern. For those of you who don't know, the Tate Modern is a popular art gallery with very current art work.

There are a range of Tate galleries, here is a link to the main website http://www.tate.org.uk/

I had been to the Tate Modern before but I was very young and didn't really get it (I'll be honest some of the work is very 'out there'). Going again, now I'm older, was quite refreshing and I found I had even more respect for these works in person.

 
I recommend going along if you're ever in London, even if you are not really into contemporary art, it is definitely worth while visiting as I found it really helped to expand my mind further into the prospects of art and how different people view things so incredibly differently.
 

There is a lot of work exhibited in the gallery and I thought for this post I would just talk about a few of the works and artists that stood out to me. Feel free to just scroll through and pick out what you like, I'll leave links through out to the website so you can check it out!

Here's a link to the Tate modern website http://www.tate.org.uk/visit/tate-modern


Sam Francis 
Around the blues

http://www.tate.org.uk/art/artworks/francis-around-the-blues-t00634

This painting was huge and very striking. This was the first time I saw it through the rooms. It caught my attention straight away.

This was one of the first paintings that really stood out to me in the gallery. The initial feel of the painting is that it is an abstract piece; however, after I did some research, I found that it has personal meaning to the artist.
 
To Francis each colour has a symbolic meaning.

I found out that Sam Francis was a pilot in the Second World war. He was very much inspired by Monet and his 'water lilies' painting ('Water Lillie Pond' is one of my favourite paintings, I have a poster of it on my wall!). I can see from looking at the painting he was also very much effected by his life as a pilot, as the painting has the appearance of an aerial view and "communicates the silence of the skies".


Lee Bul
Untitled (Carvings White)
 
http://www.tate.org.uk/art/artworks/lee-untitled-cravings-white-t13992

I used a shutter speed of 0"4 and zoomed out when taking the photo to gain this effect. I also slightly enhanced the exposer when editing on Pixlr Express.
 
This work was hanging from the ceiling. I found it very unusual, if you want to see what the sculpture actually looked like then check out the link above. I played around with the shutter speed when taking the photo and I think it came out looking pretty cool!
 
 
Gerhard Richter
Cage 1-6
 
 
The canvases were huge so I took a photo of the bottom left hand corner of one of the paintings.
 
I am a huge fan of Gerhard Richter and to it was an honour to finally see his work in person! Being exhibited were his squeegee paintings and they were so much bigger than I had imagined. I love how the colours underneath burst through the block colours. I also love the amount of layers in his paintings, seeing it in person has made me appreciate him so much more and I think I will do a post on Gerhard Richter later on!
 
 
 
Lynda Benglis
Quartered Meteor
 
 

 

This sculpture was in the corner of the gallery and I found it a little unnerving. It is made of layers of polyurethane foam and looks a little like cooled lava. I think it is very unusual and striking, let me know in the comments what you think about it, I'd love to hear!
 
 
George Condo
 
 
This link is to the main painting shown in the photo but feel free to have a look around on the website as a lot of George Condo's work was exhibited in the Tate Modern.
 
I really loved the aesthetics of his work and I want to stick some of his works up on my wall!
 
Lee Krasner
Gothic Landscape
 
 
 
The painting closest to you in the photo is the work of Lee Krasner. I really liked the marks made in this piece and found it really stood out to me.
 
 
Jacques Mahé de la Villeglé
Jazzmen
 
 
I love collage and I loved the bright colours of this work!
 

 
Roy Lichtenstein
Whaam
 
 
The painting in real life is a long rectangle I look the photo at a different angle to try and emphasise the impact this dramatic piece of pop art has.
It was amazing to be able to see this incredibly famous piece in person! I love pop art and Roy Lichtenstein's work, I think it is so iconic.
 
 
Manolo Millares
Painting 150
 

 http://www.tate.org.uk/art/artworks/millares-painting-150-t00579

I thought the ripped canvas effect was super dramatic and eye catching and this is something I would love to try!


 Mark Bradford
Riding the cut vein

 
I thought this work had a huge impact on the room
I found this work really interesting and different. Mark Bradford uses Paper, varnish, silicone caulk and charcoal on canvas and I love the amount of layers and textures created.
 
This is a close up photo of a section of the painting. I wanted to show the amount of textures and marks made on the canvas.

Eva Rothschild
Riches

 

This was a sculpture in the corner of the room. It created great shapes and reflections.
 
 
So there you go!
 
I know this post was very long but I wanted to show as much of the gallery as possible, to hopefully make you feel like you came to the gallery with me!
 

 
I definitely recommend making a visit to the Tate Modern if you are ever in London and feel free to explore the Tate's website to find out more and see if there is a gallery near you.

 
If you have made it to the bottom then you are the best! Thank you so much for reading, I hope you enjoyed visiting the Tate Modern with me (haha).
 
Let me know what you think of the artwork and if there are any other galleries you recommend! Lets share our creativity and make this blog a place of inspiration!
 
Thanks so much, have a brilliant day

2 comments:

  1. Excellent phlog Katherine, I love the Quartered Meteor awesome idea although I have no idea where I would put something like that in my own home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Marie! Haha I know what you mean

      Delete